Re: [exim] Spam getting through even though sa-exim is suppo…

Author: exim-users
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Spam getting through even though sa-exim is supposedly configured to reject
On 12/10/11 10:10, Mark Goodge wrote:

> I have what seems to me to be a rather weird problem. My users are
> complaining that they are receiving spam, which contains the following
> spamassassin content warning:

> Spam detection software, running on the system "mail.example.com", has
> identified this incoming email as possible spam. The original message
> has been attached to this so you can view it (if it isn't spam) or label
> similar future email. If you have any questions, see
> @@CONTACT_ADDRESS@@ for details.
>
> Content preview:
>
> Content analysis details: (15.1 points, 5.0 required)
>
> Now, that appears to have correctly been flagged as spam (and, indeed,
> it is spam), but with a score of 15.1 it should have been rejected, not
> modified and passed. My sa-exim.conf contains this line:
>
> SApermreject: 5.0
>
> which, as I understand it, means that spam with a score of 5.0 or more
> is rejected and will never reach the recipient. Spamassassin is
> obviously running and being called by exim, otherwise we wouldn't get
> the warning either.
>
> So - why is this spam getting through instead of being rejected? Am I
> missing something obvious here?

You need to configure Exim to reject the email. Exim asks SpamAssassin
if the email is spam or not, but SpamAssassin doesn't have the
capability of rejecting mail, it only has the capability of reporting on
whether or not the message is spam.

Show us the Exim configuration that you're using to call SpamAssassin.

--
Mike Cardwell https://grepular.com/ https://twitter.com/mickeyc
Professional http://cardwellit.com/ http://linkedin.com/in/mikecardwell