[exim] Alternative to the -D option

Author: Russell Stuart
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Alternative to the -D option
I am upgrading my configuration from a much older version of exim, and
now I get this message in my paniclog:

2011-10-10 11:10:07 exim user lost privilege for using -D option

I used the -D option to tell exim to deliver large messages. Delivery
of large messages is disabled normally. Instead cron regularly starts a
background instance of exim running as root with a special -D option
that causes it to skip the large message check. The net effect of this
is to ensure there is at most one instance exim clogging up my link with
the delivery of outbound videos and what not.

I gather from the exim's man page that -D option is now frowned upon.
In fact if I read it correctly it doesn't work at all unless I do a
custom compile setting WHITELIST_D_MACROS. So what is preferred
mechanism for giving exim information? Is there another command line
switch, or is there some way to extract it from the environment?

--
Regards,
Russell Stuart