[exim] Backup mail server

Author: Fabien LUCE
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Backup mail server
Hi everyone,

I just want to set up a backup mail server for my 2 years old main
mail server (a kind of birthday gift ;) ).

Since I achieved to configure the main server without reading too much
the EXIM documentation, I said to myself it was a good pretext to dive
into it!
What I have mainly understood is firstly that when a mail server is
looking for an external domain, a dnslookup router is looking for the
highest priority MX or SRV entry of my domain zone file... it can only
look for an A entry if nothing else exists.
To set à backup mail server, another MX entry with lower priority should
be written in the zone file. No problem with it!

And now I can install a second exim on a friend's machine (Sb as Server
B).
The first configuration I have thought: I tell Sb to respond for mydomain.org (in the domainlist) and configure routers to send to mydomain.org (with a dnslookup or manual router). Thus, my mail will be sent to my "master" server in a time defined by the "retry" part of my configuration file.
And nothing else, even not any local delivery.

Do you think it should work?

Thanks!

--
Fabien LUCE