Re: [exim] Best way to copy incoming mails for specific doma…

Author: Emmanuel Noobadmin
To: W B Hacker
CC: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Best way to copy incoming mails for specific domain to another server?
On 10/8/11, W B Hacker <wbh@???> wrote:

> Eminently possible. Many ways, partly dpending on what your relationship
> is to the destination(s) and the users(s).

Both servers are under our control but the users must not know this
silent copy is going on because the purpose is apparently some
investigation into possible professional misconduct.

> - perhaps the least-hassle is user MUA script forwarding a copy and no
> Mailadmin involvement.

I assume this involves running a cronjob to periodically make a copy?
If so, I did consider it but running a script that scans through a
large number of directories looking for new files tend to bog things
down.

> - perhaps the easiest is use of the system /etc/aliases file or an
> Exim-readable functional equivalent

This would require hardcoding all the email addresses wouldn't it?

> - perhaps the 'best' is lmtp - but the destination pretty well has to be
> yours or working with you.

However, looking at the documentation, 3.2's doc mentions that
local_part is not set while the current doc doesn't say anything. Any
idea if this was changed in 4.x?

> - perhaps the most powerful might involve address re-writing.

However, this seems to have the side effect that the recipients will
see the additional addresses?

> My 'weapon of choice' in any case is neither system filter nor the
> shadow transport, but rather chaining of 'unseen' routers.
> That lets me apply SQL, which is not needed, but is as flexible as you
> care to make it.

This sounds nice, is there some documentation on this? The closest I
could figure is adding pipe transports to keep sending emails back
through exim unless I'm mistaken about the meaning of this line:

"An address is passed to each router in turn, until it is either
accepted, or failed. This means that the order in which you define the
routers matters. "

Which I understood to mean that if I add a router that copies to an
external server, the local delivery router will not be run since it's
already accepted by my router.