[exim] Plain Authentication Failures

Author: Brian Spraker
To: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: [exim] Plain Authentication Failures
Hello all,

Been struggling with a problem here.  I am getting "535 incorrect authentication data" errors when folks attempt to use plain authentication.

The odd thing is - I have users using Outlook and none of them appear to have the problems.

However, I have a provider that uses a PHP script to send out mails through my server - and every now and then, they get this error - but not all the time.

I just received an Android 2.2 tablet device and am attempting to setup e-mail and it constantly gives the error message and cannot get past it.

Here is my authenticators config:

begin authenticators

plain:
    driver = plaintext
    public_name = PLAIN
    server_prompts = :
    server_set_id = $auth2
    server_condition = ${lookup mysql{SELECT user_uid FROM horde_users WHERE user_uid ='${quote_mysql:$1}' AND user_pass ='${quote_mysql:$2}'}{1}fail}
    server_advertise_condition = true

login:
    driver = plaintext
    public_name = LOGIN
    server_prompts = "Username:: : Password::"
    server_condition = ${lookup mysql{SELECT user_uid FROM horde_users WHERE user_uid="$1" AND user_pass="$2"}{1}fail}
    server_set_id = $1
    server_advertise_condition = false

Here is the error in the log:

2011-09-27 17:10:19 plain authenticator failed for android_5efb516d7ad14990.domain.com (localhost) [192.168.254.33]: 535 Incorrect authentication data (set_id=user@???)

Just not understanding why it is working for those using Outlook without any troubles - but it isn't working with the Android device and causing issues for one of my providers using PHP to send messages.

Thank you for any assistance!

Brian S.