Re: [pcre-dev] A pattern-matching detail: opinions sought

Author: Herczeg Zoltán
To: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] A pattern-matching detail: opinions sought
Hi,

I have to admit I don't exactly understand how the backtracking words are working, but my understanding is that (a) should be done by (*PRUNE) according to http://perldoc.perl.org/perlre.html . Therefore I would vote to (b) option.

Regards,
Zoltan

Philip Hazel <ph10@???> írta:
>Folks,>

I'm engaged in a debate with some of the Perl community about a >
particular matching issue, and I'd like to know what other people think. >

   Consider the pattern ^A(B(*THEN)C), where A, B, and C are    >
   complex patterns. If matching fails in C, do you expect that                 >
   (a) the entire match should fail, or>
   (b) the matching should backtrack into A?  >

I won't give you any more background, because I do not want to bias your >
opinions. :-)>

Philip>

-- >
Philip Hazel>