[exim] 1.2GHz VPS Sending > 50,000 emails per hour

Author: Chris Morley
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] 1.2GHz VPS Sending > 50,000 emails per hour

Hi, i am administering a VPS which is being used to relay mail and i need to sanity check capabilities as there have been a fair few issues. The VPS is 1GB RAM, 1.2GHz. The person using the VPS told me they are sending 1,500 emails, with 50 CC'd to each. I make this 75,000 mails, and not supprised there are issues. The server load goes above 70 and then reboots. I am using the following to try and keep the load under control:

deliver_queue_load_max = 3queue_only_load = 5

I have a couple of questions: 1) What is the minimum hardware spec for that amont of mail?2) Are there any other things could i use to keep server load under control (I dont care about send rate, i just dont want the server crashing out)3) Is there any way to stop exim from retrying if the send failed? Thanks in advance, Chris