Re: [exim] General protection error

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Pawel Rutkowski
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] General protection error
On 2011-09-07 at 20:30 +0200, Pawel Rutkowski wrote:
>         Today i try to compile and run Exim 4.76 version on my Centos 5
> 64bit. After compile i thought that everythink work OK, but from time to
> time i get in kernel:
> exim[4921] general protection rip:46b660 rsp:7fffe3f34e10 error:0
> exim[30959] general protection rip:46b660 rsp:7fffbe7a1670 error:0
> exim[5197] general protection rip:46b060 rsp:7fff0bcd3b90 error:0

> I previous version from RPM all work OK. After investigation noticed that
> this error usually(not always) exist when email is sending from WWW form -
> dedicated to sending emails.
> 2011-09-07 19:10:27 1R1Ldr-0004tw-JL <= alko@xxx U=apache P=local S=48513
> id=7409d1009f566902efcb6bdc543df092@xxxxx T="P.H.U. SUBJECT" from <alko@xxx>
> for graf@xxx
> next i get this:
> 2011-09-07 19:10:27 1R1Ldr-0004tw-JL == artur@xxx R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp
> defer (-1): smtp transport process returned non-zero status 0x000b:
> terminated by signal 11
>
> How can i debug to check what generate this error ? Probably some library.

Run:
$ exim -d --version
and look at the "Library version:" output; if the version of a library
which Exim was compiled against does not match the version that it's
linked against, for a newly-built binary, then you have a build problem.

Else:

Configure your system to permit setuid programs to dump core; set
rlimits accordingly; grab coredump, run:
$ gdb /path/to/exim /path/to/exim.core
and issue the "bt" command, which will tell you where it died, and
suggest which library it was in.

Else:

bad RAM