Re: [exim] problem confirmed with exim and mailing off wrong…

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Matt Justin
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] problem confirmed with exim and mailing off wrong IPs when mail is queued
On 2011-08-29 at 13:13 +0000, Matt Justin wrote:
> I have recently opened a ticket with cpanel support and it was escalated to there dev team and this behavior was confirmed.
>
> We have found the following to be true: When 2 or more domians/ips are setup to use /etc/mailhelo
> /etc/mailips and one domain starts sending emails via smtp to the server and the remote isp (in this case aol) temporarily places a block/restriction on delivery for that IP and tells exim to queue the mail and then another configured domain starts sending off different configured IP on the server, exim will start to deliver the queued mail off the unblocked ip. This creates all types of problems as its totally different customers sending this mail and there spf/domain keys are mismatched. In addition they shouldnt be able to effect each others delivery. In theory, Exim should keep the queued mail there in the system till that ip is unblocked or return the mail as non deliverable after X attempts.
>
> Below is what the cpanel support team has concluded.. We think this behavior by Exim is a bug.. can anyone confirm and if so what is next step..

I need to see the actual configuration being used to know, since you
describe some observed behaviour but not the configuration which it
might be matched to.

I somewhat suspect that you have same_domain_copy_routing turned on,
which is not appropriate where different mails for the same domain can
need to come from different transport instances.

-Phil