Re: [exim] Blocking names from name@ip-address

Author: Phil Pennock
To: De Ranter, Nico
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Blocking names from name@ip-address
On 2011-08-23 at 12:41 +0100, De Ranter, Nico wrote:
> I'm receiving a large number of spam messages from addresses of the form
> name@ip-address. I'm already blocking addresses of the form
> @[ip-address] using 'allow_domain_literals=false' but this doesn't seem
> to stop @ip-address.

As long as you have "verify = sender", there needs to be a Router which
handles the address in question (provided that your ACLs aren't
accepting the message before you hit that clause).

So what do you get from:
$ exim -bt name@ip-address
?

You want to see something like:
$ exim -bt phil@192.0.2.1
phil@192.0.2.1 is undeliverable: Unrouteable address

If you get a response which includes "router = foo", what is the
definition of foo?

If it's dnslookup, then I think you have a resolver doing something
funny, faking up A records when the query looks like an IP address.

Regards,
-Phil