[exim] "Relay not permitted"

Author: Bill Hayles
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] "Relay not permitted"
Hi, James

I'm answering because I use both Exim and SquirrelMail, and don't have
you're problem. I am NOT an Exim expert; if I have anything wrong I'm
sure I'll soon be told!

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 07:03:23 +0000 in message number <4E422D3B.5010104@???>, received here on 10/08/2011 10:54:12, James Brown <jbrownfirst@???> said:

> But when I try to send emails with using "squirrelmail" to the external
> post users that emails rejects by exim with the messages: "Message not
> sent. Server replied: Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable
> 550 relay not permitted".
> There the next records in '/var/log/exim/reject' about it:
> > H=mail.somename.name (www.somename.name) [ip_addr] F=<adm@???> rejected RCPT <somemail@???>: relay not permitted
>
> I include the next record into /usr/local/etc/exim/configuration:
> > hostlist relay_from_hosts = 127.0.0.1
> but have no any affect.
>
> What do I wrong?

I can only see one thing wrong with your exim configuration:

accept hosts = 127.0.0.1

what you want to do is to check for a host not sending by TCP/IP, i.e.

(from the documentation).

# Accept if the source is local SMTP (i.e. not over TCP/IP). We do this by
# testing for an empty sending host field.
accept hosts = :

However, something else troubles me, and that's the entry in your
reject.log

H=mail.somename.name (www.somename.name) [ip_addr] F=<adm@???> rejected RCPT <somemail@???>: relay not permitted

If that someone is using SquirrelMail then their IP address should show
as 127.0.0.1 and the entry is more like

2011-08-07 11:51:24 1Qr5Rc-0002Zs-Lv <= somebody@??? H=(craybox.com) [127.0.0.1] P=esmtp S=755 id=754bc2ba5a6d7ced311e6410b9c81eea.squirrel@???

In particular, the IP address recorded by Exim is 127.0.0.1; only
SquirrelMail will note (if you have its logging turned on) the IP
address of the sender.

I suspect your SquirrelMail configuration is faulty and that, of course,
is beyond the scope of this list.

--
This is Spain. We do things differently here!

Bill Hayles
billnot@???