Re: [exim] how do I put a email messages back into the queue…

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Oliver Howe
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] how do I put a email messages back into the queue?
On 2011-07-21 at 16:40 +0100, Oliver Howe wrote:
> suppose i have a message file that i have saved as a text file as
>
> 1QjuGG-0005hY-AE-H
>
> and I want to send it again. Can I put it back into the
> /var/spool/exim4/input/1 directory?

You've only got the headers. Exim uses the -H file for the headers and
administrivia and a -D file for holding the message body. Plus
sometimes a -J file for journals.

If you have both the -D and -H files, then loosely speaking, yes. The
timestamp is embedded in the filename, so it's highly unlikely that the
timestamp is still likely to be used for new messages by the time that a
human in the loop gets around to restoring a file.

I don't recall which order is best for restoring the two files. I
suspect that -D followed by -H is least likely to cause issues, but I'm
not willing to make that an absolute assertion and am currently enjoying
just a little too much whiskey to go searching through the source code
to verify for you. :)

-Phil