Re: [exim] Gmail's new 'suspicious sender' flag

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: Jan Ingvoldstad
CC: <exim-users@exim.org>, Sebastian Tennant
Subject: Re: [exim] Gmail's new 'suspicious sender' flag

On 5 Jul 2011, at 12:54, Jan Ingvoldstad wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 12:31, Ian Eiloart <iane@???> wrote:
> My guess is that Google are allowing senders with SPF passes some slack on other checks. So, you'd just want to publish a record for example.org.
>
> On a general basis, I recommend against using SPF, but if one "must" use SPF, remember to NOT set it restrictively.
>
> That is: never, ever use "-all" or similar constructs that restrict message handling to a few hosts, unless you are absolutely certain that messages will NEVER exit your private/company network.

Actually, "-all" is a great way of saying "this is not an email domain." And ~all is just fine. About half the mail that we accept for delivery has an SPF record for the sender domain, and about 95% of that gets an SPF PASS. It's useful for limited whitelisting of friendly domains, like those of business partners.

--
Ian Eiloart
Postmaster, University of Sussex