Re: [exim] Configuration question

Autor: Jan Ingvoldstad
A: Ian Eiloart
CC: exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Configuration question
On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 13:56, Ian Eiloart <iane@???> wrote:

> Then I'm confused by "Obsoleted by: 5322" at
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2822.
>
> And by "Obsoletes: 2822" at http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322

And possibly by what "draft standard" means. No worries, it essentially just
means that it's mostly ready for use in production environments, that at
least two different actual implementations of the standard exist in the
wild, but that there can still be errata.

Where RFC 5321 and 5322 differ from RFC 2821 and 2822, I would caution
against interpreting RFC 5321 and 5322 strictly. These RFCs are so fresh and
new (yes, really) that you cannot expect implementations to be up-to-date.

AFAICR, there are still implementations that pretend that RFC 2821 and 2822
have not quite happened yet.

> Still, 2822 says the same thing.

Ah, yes, indeed it does, in section 3.6.

The conclusion should, anyway, still be to be moderate in what you send –
that is, to avoid things that might cause problems. I should have written
that more clearly in my previous post, that I do think multiple subject
headers is a bad idea.
--
Jan