Re: [exim] How do I force exim to dnslookup certain addresse…

Autor: Ian Eiloart
A: Bruce A. Bergman
CC: <exim-users@exim.org>
Assumpte: Re: [exim] How do I force exim to dnslookup certain addresses?

On 17 Jun 2011, at 08:07, Bruce A. Bergman wrote:

> Hello group!
>
> Newbie exim admin here. I am very experienced with sendmail, but on my new server (Debian 6), I've decided to give exim4 a try. I've got it pretty well laid out, but with ONE small, tiny puzzle. Hence why I'm asking you! ;-)
>
> By way of explanation of what I want, here's my (fake) example:
>
> Server and domain that exim4 is running on: goofy.com
> Primary use: ecartis mailing list host. In /etc/aliases, I have all the valid ecartis mail aliases that can be accepted. For example: test-l@???, blah-l@???, etc.
>
> When I go to mail to test-l@??? (locally or remotely), I would like that address (basically any address in /etc/aliases) handled locally. In this case, piped to the ecartis executable. THIS WORKS.
>
> What doesn't work is that if I have any local (goofy.com) addresses in the mailing list (i.e., john@???), then when ecartis emails the mailing list message out, it tries to deliver john@??? locally, but there is NO mailbox/user/address by that name. And so I get an "Unrouteable address" error sent back. All the other non-local users get their mailing list message just fine (as expected).
>
> After much trial and error, I give up. I THINK what I need is this chain of logic:
>
> If the incoming destination address exists in /etc/aliases, deliver it per the rules in that alias file. If it does NOT exist in that file, regardless of whether it is the local domain or not, do a dnslookup and deliver thusly. Using my example above, blah-l and test-l exist in /etc/aliases, so those should be handled as per the rules in that file. john@ is NOT in that file, even though it is part of the local domain, so I would like it to then dnslookup that address (where it will see that it is off-host) and deliver it there.
>
> How can I achieve this? Please let me know if this explanation isn't clear, or anyone would like more detailed information.

It sounds like you need two routers. The first should deliver your aliases into ecartis, the second should deliver everything remotely. My guess is that your second router is testing for local domains; it shouldn't.

If that doesn't help. Please post the routers section of your config file.

BTW. you should use example.com (or similar) for example domains. http://www.apps.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2606.html#sec-3 The goofy.com domain is registered by…guess who? 8^)