Re: [exim] Sender verification failing sometimes

Autor: Ted Cooper
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Sender verification failing sometimes
On 15/06/11 11:42, W B Hacker wrote:

> 'Obliterated'?
>
> You must have one Helluva good backbone for things to degenerate to that
> sad sate of affairs.
>
> ;-)

You'd be surprised how many logs you get from millions of connections
when you're only set for maybe a thousand a day, of which 50 are real
emails.

We're not talking about a massive system here, just a single domain at a
small business that was somehow lucky enough to be picked to the source
address for **** knows how many emails. How I managed to get TWO
different client domains picked within a month of each other, I do not
know*. Both had strict SPF records too.

Cutting a long story short, the /var drive ran out of room and services
started dying off because of it. The machine was running (no smoke
pouring out of it), but wasn't really doing anything but printing
messages to the console about how upset it was.

I don't really have any idea how many connections it was, but it was
enough to fill the drive overnight with a combination of log files.

I also don't do these any more.

* Ok, I _do_ have an idea but no way to check it. My reject messages
used to be slightly confrontational when there was zero chance of it
being a legitimate connection - like HELO with my hostname or IP
address. Perhaps remove the slightly. That was the only thing those
servers/domains had in common really, but they weren't the only servers
returning those messages either.