Re: [exim] automatically blacklisting clients that fail SMTP

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Bill Hayles
Para: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [exim] automatically blacklisting clients that fail SMTP
Hi, Ian

I suspect we are not going to agree, and this thread has nothing to do with
Exim, so I'm not going to bore everybody by going round in circles.
All I defend is the right of a small mail server (that doesn't spam and
obeys the rules) to run without the need to use any sort of smart host.
However ...

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 09:31:55 +0000 in message number <57D6D8D6-CE17-4013-A0BA-B1CD62BE254D@???>, received here on 14/06/2011 13:09:33, Ian Eiloart <iane@???> said:

> SPF lets a domain owner say which IP addresses their email is expected to
> originate from. It might be nice to also allow IP address owners to
> specify which domains are expected to originate from their IP addresses.
> For example, an ISP might permit a small company to use port 25, but
> publish a set of DNS records that let the world know that the email
> originating from those IP addresses is going to (mostly) use a particular
> set of sender domains. I don't know whether that's easily achievable
> technically, but it would be nice to be able to check with the IP address
> owner as well as the domain owner.

It's an interesting idea, and one I have no problem with in theory. In fact
I think it would be much easier for me than it would for a hosting service
that has new domains added daily, if not more frequently.

I can see Telefonica looking on this as a way of extracting more money from
their fixed IP account customers.

The problem comes in that 95% (maybe more) of mail originating from
80.35.22.107 will have a sender@???. However, some of my account
holders have more than one e-mail address and may wish to send via my server
using that address. Perfectly OK, as everybody (even me!) has to
authenticate via ESMTP to send to anywhere other than local domains. Your
proposal would make that difficult, if not impossible.

--
This is Spain. We do things differently here!

Bill Hayles
billnot@???