Re: [exim] Using verify sender

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Ted Cooper
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [exim] Using verify sender
On 23/05/11 22:13, Graham Butler wrote:
> Is the use of 'verify sender' recommended, and can anybody who has
> included 'verify sender' give any feed back on any problems they have
> experienced regarding rejections of legitimate emails.

I've used it since I started using Exim as it's is part of the default
configure file.

We've had a number of emails rejected outright that were theoretically
legitimate emails, however, in every case the sender's domain had
expired and my users would not have been able to reply to the messages.

The sender doesn't usually know anything about the problem and the error
messages turning up are the first indication that something is wrong.

In terms of send attempts rejected by "require verify = sender" though,
these cases are in the minority. Usually, it's either a spammer sending
from a domain they think it viable for sending email, but is in fact
missing the A and MX records, OR a snowshoe shop that hasn't got their
DNS in order yet.

Overall, yes it causes occasional wet work, but it's usually very much
appreciated.

Except in the case of an unnamed mining operation in outback Australia
who threatened to sue the company I was working for because we had
stolen their domain and we were trying to defraud them. Why else
wouldn't it work and we somehow know that it was expired and they needed
to go to Melbourne IT and pay $140 to renew it for 2 years. (yes, that
was how much a .com.au cost at the time) (no, the accusation didn't make
much sense to me either).