Re: [pcre-dev] Recursion with possessive quantifiers

Author: Herczeg Zoltán
To: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] Recursion with possessive quantifiers
Hi,

I think this could be an interesting optimization. As Philip mentioned, this is already done for single character iterations. Maybe it could be extended for fixed number of characters. However, we should not expect from Philip to do everything by himself. You could try to implement it by yourself, or get some support. Perhaps it would be an interesting task for Google Summer of Code...

Regards,
Zoltan

ND <nadenj@???> írta:
>Hi!>
>
> PCRE just follows the PERL way (standard :P), but you should be a little >
> more creative and easly avoid the problem:>

Thanx. We already discussed this method here: >
http://www.exim.org/lurker/message/20110212.185423.66847ce2.en.html>
But there is much better IMHO if this creativity will bring PCRE itself. >
And will not so angry when this is not really needed.>
My posts in this topic are not for getting help but to offer an PCRE >
optimization.>

> PS: Are you sure you can't change the stack size on Windows? There is a >
> Visual C compiler option to change it as far as I remember.>

If you have a Windows just run pcretest.exe with pattern "(?:a)*+" and >
subject string "a" repeated about 3000 times. There is no result (stack >
overflow).>
Stack size of cause may be changed but it can not be really large.>

Thanx anyway, Zoltan.>