Re: [exim] Exim 5.x

Autor: Steffen Heil
A: 'Phil Pennock', exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Exim 5.x
Hi

While I don't really care about version numbers but only about
functionality, the following is just an worthless opinion, but still my 2
ct.

>         * Don't break lexical comparison, not going 4.9901
>         * So will go from 4.99 to 5.00

Not breaking lexical comparision and therefor regarding 4.99 to 5.00 similar
as 4.67 to 4.68 is a broken concept, or you must make sure, exim is REALLY
complete (feature-complete, bug-free, ...) before you reach 9.99. Because
then you will have to break on of the rules above.

The much cleaner solution would be to go from 4.99 to 4.100, which good
parsers can handle.
Reserve 5.0 (followed by 5.1) for really incompatible changes, conceptional
changes. Such as 3.x to 4.x.

Regards,
Steffen