Re: [exim] Problem with TLS connection

Autor: Hill Ruyter
A: Heiko Schlittermann, <exim-users@exim.org>
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Problem with TLS connection
Hello Heiko
And the list too this time

>[Your mail was not directed to the list, I'm not sure, what's your
>intention. I'm replying in private mail therefore. ]

I had not realised I was not replying to the list

Hill Ruyter <hill@???> (Wed May 18 16:29:30 2011):
> Hi
>
> I am having the issue with Outlook, both the Mac version and the Windows
> version

>Older Outlooks?

My outlooks are the latest versions 2010 for windows and 2011 for Mac

I have also discovered new behaviour

In the Mac Outlook if I change the port from 587 to 25 but keep SSL on then
it works
In Windows Outlook if I change TLS to SSL but keep port 587 then it works

My guess is that Mac Outlook uses proper TLS when you set port 587 and that
Windows gives you the choice of SSL or TLS regardless of port number

So my question is why is TLS not being supported properly when it was
working before the re-boot?
What should I be checking and what should I be looking for?

> I do not see the error on connections coming from the local LAN but rather
> from the outside the local LAN clients are using Windows Outlook

>The exim server is located outside your LAN or inside?
>Is there any chance for me to connect to your exim server (no login
>required so far, I just want to see what happens if I use SSL)

Yes the server is on the same LAN as the working clients but I am not in
that location myself
I do have SSH access to the server

> I am not familiar with the other clients you mention
> I am on a MAC are these something I can download and try for confirmation of
> the fault?

>Thunderbird should exist for Mac, Swaks is a command line tool written in Perl,
>it would run on the Mac too, but I'm afraid, it will miss a lot of
>libraries. About OpenSSL I'm not sure, but probably it exists on a Mac
>too. It's a command line tool as well.

I managed to send mail successfully using the Mac Mail client bus as
previously stated I have made a particular configuration of Outlook work
too now but I would like to understand why

>[Please excuse my poor English :-)]

Please excuse my poor Linux Skills

Hill