Re: [exim] Exim 5.x

Autor: Ian Eiloart
A: Mike Cardwell
CC: <exim-users@exim.org>
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Exim 5.x

On 17 May 2011, at 18:09, Mike Cardwell wrote:

> On 17/05/2011 17:21, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
>
>> Any ardent Exim LMTP users around? Pls help.
>
> I've never used LMTP before, but it looks really simple. Take a look at:
>
> http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch28.html

No, really, don't use the LMTP transport. It's much easier to use an SMTP Transport and add the line "protocol = lmtp".

You'd imagine that the LMTP transport would use the same code base, but it doesn't. The only advantage of the LMTP transport is that it allows you to deliver through a unix socket. The disadvantage is that it lacks most of the SMTP transport features.

We use LMTP to deliver to Cyrus-IMAP mailstores, but quickly decided against the LMTP transport.

The advantage of Mailman 3 is that it will permit SMTP time rejection of emails based on sender/list permissions. No more bounce messages or discards, unless you want them. Also, the use of LMTP means that you might safely send one message to two lists, and allow the lists to discriminate on the basis of message content (including, for example, the From header, presence of attachments, or body size).

It's possible that the only modification you'll need to make to your Exim config is to add the line "protocol = lmtp" to your transport. If you use that transport for other purposes, then duplicate fix and rename it, and then point your mailman router at the new transport.

--
Ian Eiloart
Postmaster, University of Sussex