Re: [exim] Sharing store

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Heiko Schlittermann
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [exim] Sharing store
jm.rodriguez@??? <jm.rodriguez@???> (Mon May 16 14:15:00 2011):
> Hi,
>
> Is there any way to store a one-time email and share it with symbolic links
> between multiple mailboxes?
>
> The idea is to avoid storing the same email several times in the file system
> when the message size is large.

Yes, it could be possible to do something like this in some specialized
transport.

But …
I'd be careful. How good it works depends on the MAA¹ (mail access
agent, IMAP server, POP3 server, …) you're using. Some (UW imapd, I
think) save some status information in each message. And some of them
may destroy your link when saving the message after a status update.

Another issue could be permissions.

I'd recommend checking the MAA, some of them may have
an own MDA (mail delivery agent), via command pipeline, via LMTP, … and
some of these MDA may have some deduplication feature. (I'm not
sure, if I read something about that in some dovecot "advertisment".)

¹) self invented acronym

--
Heiko :: dresden : linux : SCHLITTERMANN.de
GPG Key 48D0359B : 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2 7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B