Re: [exim] Relaying confusion

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Relaying confusion
Jeffs <jeffs@???> (Thu May 12 23:29:39 2011):
(…)
> I do not want all emails, however to be identified as coming from
> the same Exim4 smtp server because there is a potential that senders
> from 123.com, for example, may develop bad sender reputations and I
> don't want that to slow up the deliveries of emails to the campaigns
> for the 456 and 789.com's.

I hope there is no reason to get bad reputation and all your recipients
are verified (read: they *want* the mail your server is sending).

> Given that speed and overhead need to be fast what are the
> recommendations from this group about the network setup? Should
> each sender have their very own Exim4 server that they identify in
> their outgoing emails, or can 1 Exim4 server serve messages for all
> companies but nevertheless have a setting which can be tweaked to
> identify messages from 123.com as IP yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy and from
> 456.com as being from IP zzz.zzz.zzz.zzz, etc?

You server probably will be identified in that order

    - by the sending ip
    - the used system name in EHLO
    - envelope from
    - message headers

All these things you can influence using one single exim instance.
(For the sending IP you need support from the operating system, it needs
to have several addresses).

I'm not sure if one single exim instance is suitable for blasting
several million messages in a short period of time. May be you need some
distributed setup, but it depends …

--
Heiko :: dresden : linux : SCHLITTERMANN.de
GPG Key 48D0359B : 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2 7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B