Re: [exim] Panic log and unknown local part lists - how to f…

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Panic log and unknown local part lists - how to find problem source
Steffen Heil wrote:
> Hi
>
> Today I was waked up by one of my mailservers complaining about exims panic
> log.
> I found these entries:
>
> 2011-05-08 13:04:42 unknown named local part list "+giorgio.marchese"
> 2011-05-08 13:11:39 unknown named local part list "+giorgio.marchese"
> 2011-05-08 13:31:22 unknown named local part list "+giorgio.marchese"
> 2011-05-08 14:04:41 unknown named local part list "+giorgio.marchese"
> 2011-05-08 14:51:30 unknown named local part list "+giorgio.marchese"
>
> Now I cannot find the source for those.
> The exim4.conf file was not changed within the last weeks.
> I took down the system and scanned it externally using clamav but nothing
> either.
>
> I am running ubuntu 8.04 LTS, which has exim 4.69 plus some patches.
> However the exim4.conf file is handwritten, so debian directories here...
>
> Looking into the main.log for that times, I also did not find anything that
> would had helped me.
>
> Any hint, where to continue the search would be appreciated...
>
> Best regards,
>    Steffen

Steffen,

I suspect the '+' is what is at odds with an acl or router clause,
perhaps one unique to your setup, so a debug run with that specific
$local_part AND/OR one(s) of similar structure should tell the tale.

Otherwise ...

Set 'log_selector = +all' (temporarily) and see if it recurs.

If so, grep ~/mainlog or ~/main.log for (part of) the offending string.

Note the PID.

Grep on that PID to get the surrounding info.

Back down the 'log_selector = ' to something less verbose thereafter.

FWIW, fro production use, I have:

log_selector = +all -all_parents -queue_run -arguments -rejected_header

And optionally: -host_lookup_failed

(custom build with more specific message on that one)

Result is a reasonably terse log, yet plenty of tracking info.

HTH,

Bill