[exim] strange dsearch issue

Author: Dave Howe
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] strange dsearch issue
Hi All,

Recently upgraded exim using apt-get, and now suddenly I am getting an
error where there wasn't one before.

I am using dsearch in the usual vhost thing to distribute mail for
different domains into different mailboxes, using a subdir
/etc/exim4/domain-db and one file per domain.

As of the update, I am now getting:

18:39:56 9117 failed to open /etc/exim4/domain-db for directory search:
Permission denied (euid=110 egid=117)

checked that apparmour hasn't reared its ugly head again (it hasn't) and the
permissions look ok (rw_r__r__ for root:Debian-exim where Debian-exim has
the aforementioned uid and gid numbers). I can su - to Debian-exim and see
those files/dir just fine.

any ideas?