Re: [pcre-dev] Assertions with quantifier behaviour is Perl …

Author: ND
To: Pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] Assertions with quantifier behaviour is Perl incompatible
On 2011-05-02 16:43, Philip Hazel wrote:

>Another possible way of rewriting this pattern is something like this:
>(?:a(b)|).*d\1?

That is not true if 'a' and 'd' are expressions that may be equal. But
rewriting is not my concern.
You are right: concern is about compatibility.

> there *are* differences between PCRE and Perl - thatis why the
> "pcrecompat" man page exists. There will never be completecompatibility,
> and anybody converting complicated Perl patterns to PCRE
> should expect the occasional difference.

I was consider that any incompatibility with Perl must have weighty reason.
In this situation I don't see it.

> Sorry, but that's the way it is.

It is a fact that I'm forced to take into account.

Thanx a lot anyway.