Re: [pcre-dev] Help with installation on Windows?

Author: Thorsten Schöning
To: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] Help with installation on Windows?
Guten Tag Ocean,
am Montag, 2. Mai 2011 um 06:08 schrieben Sie:

>         I am new to C++, and I would like to use PCRE with MinGW and Visual
> Studio.

If you are a beginner, focus on one or what is the reason to use both?
Visual Studio should give you all you need, even a regexp library.

> The Windows ports are exceptionally old, so I want to use the
> latest version. But I can't find any information on how to do it. What
> tiny scraps of information I found are clearly written for people who are
> already experienced programmers, but they are useless for anyone new to the
> field.

Simple because creating libraries for maybe unsupported environments
is a pretty hard task in most cases and nothing a beginner should
start with. Multithreading yes or no, 32 or 64 Bit, missing
dependencies, headers, declarations, functions etc., release vs. debug
libs and so on...

>         Can you offer me any guidance on what - specifically - I need to do
> in order to get your latest version working with MinGW and Visual Studio?
> Or at least MinGW, if that's easier.

PCRE comes with CMake projects, it may be enough to just download
cmake, run it and see what happens. It wasn't enough for my Borland
Builder, for example. On April, 25.th Tom Fortman posted the attached
make file for Visual Studio 2005, they maybe more on the mailing
list. If nothing present fits you're needs you have to build the
library on you own and therefore need to learn how to do that in
general with your version of Visual Studio and then integrate that in
your project. Normally there are assistants to build libraries where
you create a project, choose source files, define some macros etc.
and see what happens.

http://www.cmake.org/

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--
Thorsten Schöning
AM-SoFT IT-Systeme - Hameln | Potsdam | Leipzig

Telefon: Potsdam: 0331-743881-0
E-Mail:  tschoening@???
Web:     http://www.am-soft.de

AM-SoFT GmbH IT-Systeme, Konsumhof 1-5, 14482 Potsdam
Amtsgericht Potsdam HRB 21278 P, Geschäftsführer: Andreas Muchow