Re: [exim] authentication / relay

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Seth Dillingham
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] authentication / relay
On 2011-04-28 at 13:59 -0400, Seth Dillingham wrote:
> Samson sends email 'from' quite a few different addresses. It can have any
> number of group projects, and each group project has a name, and the names
> become part of a cluster of associated email accounts, such as "
> project1-site@???" and "project1-calendar@???" and "
> project1-subscribe@???".

> The problem I'm having is that mail from samson is being rejected with
> verification errors. I thought I had exim configured to relay from samson
> correctly, but I've obviously done something wrong.
>
> I'm a n00b. Not going to pretend I know what's wrong. Here's an example
> rejection, from my mainlog:
>
> 2011-04-25 11:55:27 H=static-11-111-111-1.prvdri.fios.verizon.net (
> samson.free-conversant.com) [11.111.111.1] F=<project1-confirm@???>
> rejected RCPT <example@???>: Sender verify failed

Your Exim configuration probably states, somewhere in the main section,
that the "local_domains" domainlist includes "example.com".

With stock configuration, if Exim is told that example.com is handled
locally, then any address in example.com that it can't handle doesn't
exist, so the sender address doesn't exist, so the mail is rejected.

Either make sure that the Exim box has a way to Route all email
addresses used by Samson, or if the Exim box is not authoritative for
example.com then don't use example.com in local_domains. Perhaps
"fred.example.com" would be more appropriate.

Alternatively, send the unhandled local mail to the correct machine. If
there's an MX record for it, then note that each Router is tried in
turn, so if you move the normal "remote mail" Router ("dnslookup" or
"smarthost" or somesuch) to _after_ the local Routers, make sure that
_all_ local Routers have a:
domains = +local_domains
on them, and then remove the "domains" restriction from the remote mail
Router.

-Phil