Re: [exim] SMTP Multiple Recipients? - corrected

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] SMTP Multiple Recipients? - corrected
Marc Perkel wrote:
> Trying to understand the smtp protocol with multiple recipients. From
> what I understand the recipients are specified as follows:
>
> rcpt to:person1@???
> 250 Accepted
> rcpt to:person2@???
> 250 Accepted
> rcpt to:person3@???
> 250 Accepted
>
> Suppose I'm doing forward callouts to verify recipients. And suppose
> person2@??? is a bad email address. How should the server respond
> to say that there is one bad address but 2 are ok?
>
> What I'm trying to do is pass the email for the good recipients and
> reject the email for the bad recipients at SMTP time.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Marc,

- just as an acceptance code is returned for each accepted recipient,
so, too a rejection code is returned for each one that is unwanted.

- as with any other rejection, it may be temporary or permanent.

Either way... at final rejection ELSE retry timeout, submitting MTA
generates a DSN to the sender so advising. Well 'real' MTA do. Dunno
about the 'bots. Or care.

HTH,

Bill