Re: [exim] Callouts that don't immediately work

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: W B Hacker
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim users
Aihe: Re: [exim] Callouts that don't immediately work
Jaap Winius wrote:
> Quoting W B Hacker <wbh@???>:
>
>> 'Typically' on a whole-globe basis, nameservers need as much as three
>> days before changes have propagated to 'near as dammit' all of them.
>>
>> Ordinarily, one sets the TTL's quite short ...
>
> This can't have anything to do with DNS, since my manual telnet callout
> test, using the same host name, worked without a hitch when Exim did
> not. Besides, the DNS did not have to be changed before or after Exim
> was modified.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jaap

But you said..

=====

> I was informed that the system mail name (the domain name used to
> qualify mail addresses without a domain name) had to be changed.
> After adding the new domain name I ran some tests and noticed that
> the callouts from other servers receiving from this one were not
> succeeding.

====

The manual telnet is not an issue.

But before you did that, your server AND the other servers would 'as far
as I know' have been reliant on a DNS lookup. Even if it was a file
lookup (as in /etc/resolv.conf) - for example if all involved are in a
pool under common admin / control.

If 'the DNS did not have to be changed...', then I'm puzzled by what was
meant by '..after adding the new domain name'.

New <domain>.<tld>? Or perhaps just a prefix change?

Or do you mean DNS RR had been there all along, and the only change was
for THIS server to put it into use instead of [ some other server | no
prior server ]?

Even so, did that not mean it was now appearing on an IP not previously
used for it?

Were arp tables flushed?

Bill