Re: [exim] [new to exim] exim server not sending host namea…

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Dominic Benson
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Sam Walters, exim-users
Aihe: Re: [exim] [new to exim] exim server not sending host nameandfailing verification.
On 28/03/11 17:31, Dave Evans wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 05:40:49PM +1100, Sam Walters wrote:
>> Hi Dave
>>
>> Thanks for the background info on how to post on this email list.
>> I didn't notice the http://wiki.exim.org/DontObfuscate
>>
>> Yes you can probably get some info by looking at it directly: eg: exim
>> -bh 203.132.28.33 *the misconfigured server in question
> I've re-read your emails a few times but I'm afraid I'm still unclear as to
> what problem we're trying to resolve here.

Likewise. I'm going to take a bit of a guess at the problem; tell me if
I'm wrong.

I am assuming that;
* You're working on the mail server for aeroclub-beta.com.au.
* You are working on the machine with IP 203.132.28.33
* You want to send e-mail from info@???
* Such e-mail is being rejected by some recipient hosts
Is this correct?

It sounds like you're falling foul of sender verification. Basically, if
you don't accept delivery *to* an address, some users won't accept
delivery *from* it.

Aeroclub-beta.com.au has only an A record, resolving to 203.132.28.33.
That is an Exim 4.69 server, (so it seems consistent with what you
describe). That host won't accept delivery for info@???.

If it should, then you need to configure it to. If it shouldn't, you
need an MX record to point to the host that should. (An MX record
wouldn't hurt in any case, A fallback isn't ideal).

If it does, but info@ isn't one of those, then you should do one of:
a) Accept mail to info
b) Send from a different address
c) Use a different address as the return path (the -f option, if you're
calling from the local machine)
d) Accept, but blackhole mail to info@

There are pros and cons to each of the above. Without more information
as to what you're trying to accomplish, I can't say which would be most
appropriate.