[exim] authenticating from address for outgoing email?

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Jeff Lasman
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Exim-users
Aihe: [exim] authenticating from address for outgoing email?
Some (not many) of the users of the exim.conf file I maintain have requested
that we check to make sure the authenticated user sending email only use a
From address we have on file for them.

They suggest we only send email if the From address is the same as the domain
registered to the authenticated sender.

I once thought the RFCs said something about that, but I can't find it
anywhere. I'm probably not googling as well as I should.

Our exim.conf file is used by webhosting companies, and it's always allowed
users, once they authenticate, to use any outgoing email address they want. I
make use of that myself,sometimes sending email out with my gmail return
address, and sending from several domains I use but maintaining only one
outgoing MTA in my desktop client.

What is the current consensus on this issue? Is it mentioned in any RFC?

Thanks.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, Nobaloney Internet Services
Post Office Box 52200, Riverside, CA 92517