著者: John Jetmore
To: Matthew Roberts
CC: Exim Users
題目: Re: [exim] Can I force authentication?
On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 8:19 AM, Matthew Roberts <robermat@???> wrote:
>> > The mail server requires authentication for off-campus email
>> > addresses, but not for on-campus addresses. In order to make this
>> > work I have added the mail server to the /etc/exim4/passwd.client
>> > with login/password information.
>> >
>> > This worked great until a few days ago, when the off-campus mail
>> > from my system stopped going through. I hadn't changed anything.
>> > ... is there a way for me to force authentication even
>> > if the mail server does not request it?
>
> Now when I try to send a message, the SMTP exchange is shown below.  Is the problem with the smarthost server?  Thanks for any help!

The mail server isn't advertising that it is capable of
authentication. The transaction shows that this is port 25. You
might see if they have changed their policy either such that they
require local SMTP submissions to go to a submission port (587),
and/or they only advertise AUTH over a TLS link. Since they don't
advertise STARTTLS either, that might leave you with needing STARTTLS
on 587, or needing to use smtps on a different port.

If you don't feel like calling your helpdesk, a good starting point would be:

$ telnet smtp.nw.uwplatt.edu 587
EHLO your-server-name

And see if the output from that advertises AUTH and/or STARTTLS.

--John