Re: [exim] A cry for help - are there any plusnet admins out…

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Drav Sloan
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Dave Restall - System Administrator,,,
Kopio: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [exim] A cry for help - are there any plusnet admins out there ?
Dave Restall - System Administrator,,, wrote:
> I use exim to receive and process my emails - have done for years.
> I also use sender callouts - have done for years. Occasionally emails
> get rejected because they are sent from non-existent addresses and sender
> callouts don't like that.

You'll get quite a bit of hostility from various net denizens for using
callouts "globally". Infact there are a couple of blacklists which add
anyone using "unauthorized" callouts and several people have been vocal
about the issue on the Exim users mailing list.

Personally I cannot see what all the fuss is about, but have learnt in
the past (as Graham has already suggested) that it is best used ONLY on
domains for which you have authority (such as a backup MX calling forward
to validate if an email exists on your primary MX - which admittedly is
in the call forward (not call back) area).

There are much better tools for filtering out unwanted traffic (spamassasin
virus checkers, blacklists, dkim yada yada) and unlike sender callouts
you won't be subject to arbitary banning or senarios you are facing with
PlusNet.

The simplest fix for this is exempt PlusNet from your callouts, the more
recommended way is to disable callouts fro all but your controlled domains
and use other filtering methods.

Regards

D.