Re: [exim] Help needed (Exim4 in Debian Lenny with DYNDNS)

Autor: Heiko Schlittermann
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Help needed (Exim4 in Debian Lenny with DYNDNS)
Jason Hsu <jhsu802701@???> (Mon Mar 14 06:46:33 2011):
> This is my first time setting up an email server. My OS is Debian Lenny. I have already successfully configured my web server and SSH server.
>
> For now, all I want to do is just send simple test messages to and from my free DynDNS account. However, I don't know where to begin or what to do (other than configuring Shorewall to open the port exim needs).
>
> The DynDNS guide (http://www.dyndns.com/support/kb/mail_servers_and_mailhop_outbound.html#exim) shows various parameters needed but doesn't tell me where to find the file containing all these parameters. I've installed exim4-config, and I've used the command "dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config" to configure things, but I don't know what I'm supposed to enter.
>
> Can anyone shed some light for me?

Debian uses some sophisticated configuration, controlled by lots of
macros and conditional includes. To get help with this config scheme,
you should ask on some debian list.

OTOH you can just ignore the Debian way and start with a fresh
example.conf.gz from /usr/share/doc/exim4/examples/example.conf.gz.

If you uncompress this file to /etc/exim4/exim4.conf, the Debian config
scheme gets ignored.

You may check this using:

    exim -bV

and watch the very last line of the output.

--
Heiko :: dresden : linux : SCHLITTERMANN.de
GPG Key 48D0359B : 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2 7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B