Re: [exim] Discard bounce notification emails before they ar…

Inizio della pagina
Autore: luda posch
To: exim-users
Oggetto: Re: [exim] Discard bounce notification emails before they are sent

> 1. What are the emails? What is content?

The emails are usually fliers for upcoming events that my company is hosting

> 2. You control servers which send emails to your relay.
> Why those servers send emails to nonexistent addresses
> and with nonexistent $sender_address?

I have a few web servers which act as front-end interfaces to
manage/maintain/deploy emails. Nonexistent recipients arrise for a number
of reasons, number one being that some of our users did not supply their
real email address. Number two is probably that some of our email addresses
were submitted years ago and may not be valid any longer. Nonexistent
sender addresses occur because the web server interface (third party
software we did not develop) is seriously flawed and unfortunately upper
management has determined that they have made too big of an investment in it
to ditch at this point (other wise I would suggest eliminating it
immediately)

We only accept relays from our servers, all other emails are rejected. We
are logging bounces as they occur to a database and removing problematic
email addresses so that we do not send to them again. We are not
"spammers", our bulk email is solicited.

These are the reasons why we do not want to send a bounce notification email
ever. First, because it wastes resources that we do not need to be wasting
because of our bounce tracking system in place, second, because the web
interface that generates the emails is very poorly designed and results in
our attempt to deliver a bounce notification to bounce, which wastes more
resources, third, because since no "human" should be using this machine a
bounce notification would not even be useful.

Thank you