Re: [pcre-dev] question about thread

Author: Herczeg Zoltán
To: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] question about thread
Hi,

PCRE is completly thread safe. With multile threads you should experience better performance. What does your algorithm do exactly? Multithreading is only effective, if you parallelize costly tasks, which could run independently from each other.

Regards,
Zoltan

wrk@??? írta:

Is that means we couldn't use multi-threading applications to match different compiled forms at once? I mean each thread use its own compiled form which is different from others.>

> Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 10:19:39 +0000>
> From: ph10@???>
> To: wrk@???>
> CC: pcre-dev@???>
> Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] question about thread>
> >
> On Wed, 2 Mar 2011, wrote:>
> >

> > Dear PCRE developers:>
> >        These days i used Pcre for multiple threads designing.I created 4 threads in a 4 nuclear CPU to match Regular>
> >  Expression , but it couldn't raise the peed when i just created one thread.Could PCRE be used in several threads at the same time? >
> >        Thank you .>

> This text is an extract from the "man pcreapi":>
> >
> MULTITHREADING>
> >
>        The PCRE functions can be used in  multi-threading  applications,  with>
>        the  proviso  that  the  memory  management  functions  pointed  to  by>
>        pcre_malloc, pcre_free, pcre_stack_malloc, and pcre_stack_free, and the>
>        callout function pointed to by pcre_callout, are shared by all threads.>

>        The  compiled form of a regular expression is not altered during match->
>        ing, so the same compiled pattern can safely be used by several threads>
>        at once.>

> -- >
> Philip Hazel>

-- >