Re: [exim] ACL error bypass?

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] ACL error bypass?
Marc Perkel wrote:
> Is there a way to tell an ACL to just bypass and do nothing in the case
> where it normally would return a "Tempory Local Problem" because of
> something like a failed string expansion or a missing file?
>
> The problem I'm trying to fix is that I'm allowing users to type in
> strings to block messages in headers. But if the user types something
> that "match" doesn't like then they end up getting their email blocked
> and no knowing what happened. I'd like to have an "ignore errors"
> command in an ACL so that if there's some kind of failure the ACL is
> silently bypassed.

Just do it in two steps, much as if it was a point score accumulation.

Use a 'warn' verb to set up <something> such as a string or acl_? variable for
the test you cite above.

Put the 'action' verb (accept, deny .. whatever) in a *subsequent* acl that
inspects what the warn onpassed.

That lets you write your own error-handing / branching... and/or use several
tests then combine results before taking a decision.

Not much limit to the flexibility ...

HTH,

Bill