Re: [exim] Smarthost with a local adress

Author: Dominic Benson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Smarthost with a local adress
On 08/02/11 10:04, Seb wrote:
> "Am I correct in interpreting that as "forward all mail TO
> user1@localdomain to a different [local/under your control] server?"
>

> Yes, it's right but the domains are the same, to be more precise :
>
> I want to forward (or copy?) all mails to user1@localdomain from our
> local server to : user1@localdomain using our default smarthost (like
> every mails relayed). So : the user1@localdomain will be routed to the
> external mail (known on Internet).

I'm curious as to how mail in general gets to the mailboxes on the local
server - if your domain's MX resolves to the other box, what are you
using the local mailboxes for, and why then does only one user need to
be forwarded off to the 'real' mail server? I ask because setting your
box not to use local mail at all, just sending everything through a
smarthost is a standard config (indeed, if I am right in guessing from
your posted sample config that you're using Debian/Ubuntu, it is one of
the configurations available through dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config).

Anyway, to answer your question:
> I hope that my explanations will help to describe my problem !
>
> According to you're previous mail, I think you're solution will work
> fine !
>
> But before testing, where can I add the "warn:" and
> "forward_not_quite_local" rules please ? Directly in exim conf file ? (I
> don't use split files) or in a system filter file ?

The "warn" should go in the RCPT ACL, after you reject non-local/invalid
sender etc., but before any accept: directive that might match it.
Assuming my earlier hunch was correct, look in
/etc/exim4/exim4.conf.template for:

### acl/30_exim4-config_check_rcpt

The router definition should go somewhere after the "begin routers"
directive - before the router that handles local mailboxes. You may or
may not want it to come after the aliases router
(router/400_exim4-config_system_aliases in the debian template),
depending on whether you want to permit the address to be
redirected/copied locally. You can have other things redirect to it
either way, as the redirect transport causes the routers to be processed
again from the start with the modified address.

> OK, for the smarhost_per_user ! :)
>
> Thanks in advance for u're reply.
>
> Sébastien

It occurred to me shortly after I replied to your last message that you
probably don't need to use an acl variable, and you might be able to
check local_part in the router condition, but I'm not entirely sure
about this. You might want to give it a try, as it is probably cleaner,
but I'd be inclined to get the redirection working first, so if it
doesn't work at least you know where the problem is!

Dominic