Re: [exim] authenticator options

Author: N. Tucker
To: exim-users, N. Tucker
Subject: Re: [exim] authenticator options
On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 7:28 PM, Phil Pennock <exim-users@???>wrote:

> Generally, the idea is that SMTP AUTH happens at a connection level, not
> a message level, so is authenticating the client as a host, not each
> message. The MTA on the sending side can then set AUTH=foo on each
> message, to identify its idea of the owner of each mail. If you want to
> instead authenticate per-message then this is outside the normal SMTP
> model and so you need to set max_rcpt=1. Having done that, nothing
> comes to mind for batching by type.

Thanks, this (and previous portions) is helpful. I think I have everything
need now. Regarding batching messages by type, would it make sense
to simply have a transport defined for each specific type, and then max_rcpt
would not need to be pinned down? The transport could provide the login
info as you suggested, and the auth happens once per batch of messages,
all of the same type.

-Neal