[exim] Resolv mx with problematic DNS record

Author: Manuel Dalla Lana
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Resolv mx with problematic DNS record
Hello to everyone,
I've an Exim 4.69 installation on a Centos 4.8 system and I'm trying to
solve this problem: one of the domain I try to send mail to has a wrong
DNS configuration:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
ledeco.it.        83564    IN    MX    20 94.23.65.247.

the MX record is an IP, with an extra trailing dot at the end of it,
resulting in exim to fail (correctly) to send mail to it.

The right thing to do is to contact the syadmin of the dns server and
correct this error, but it is not possible (as they say...), so there is
any way to modify exim mx resolution to strip the extra dot if the MX
record is an ip address and not a FQDN with out editing the sources and
recompiling exim?

I've other 3 domains with the same wrong configuration.

Thank you very much for your help!

Best Regards,
Manuel