Re: [exim] Multiple log entries for same mail

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: David Robertson
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Multiple log entries for same mail
On 2 Feb 2011, at 13:50, David Robertson wrote:
> Any ideas why the same message is repeated 4 times before the failed
> delivery message and then not tried again for 9 hours.

Those log messages are not identical - looking at the MX hosts for the
target domain will show why:-

% host fenman.co.uk
fenman.co.uk has address 92.52.122.79
fenman.co.uk mail is handled by 10 fenman.co.uk.s200a1.psmtp.com.
fenman.co.uk mail is handled by 20 fenman.co.uk.s200a2.psmtp.com.
fenman.co.uk mail is handled by 30 fenman.co.uk.s200b1.psmtp.com.
fenman.co.uk mail is handled by 40 fenman.co.uk.s200b2.psmtp.com.

Exim worked through all 4 MXes before giving up on that attempt.
How long it will take until the next delivery depends on:-
- retry rules
- queue run frequency
- what other messages to the same domain/target are doing

    Nigel.
--
[ Nigel Metheringham             Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]