Re: [exim-dev] [exim-cvs] Permit make values to be indented …

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Tony Finch
CC: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] [exim-cvs] Permit make values to be indented or in env.
On 2011-01-28 at 12:39 +0000, Tony Finch wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2011, Exim Git Commits Mailing List wrote:
>
> >     Some people are specifying knobs on the make command-line, so we get
> >     them via the environment.

> This feature is probably useful, but at the moment the makefile rebuilding
> scripts don't detect that the configuration has changed when you change
> variables that are specified on the command line.

True. A good reason to recommend that people continue to edit
Local/Makefile -- this change is about not breaking what used to mostly
work for people before.

> Also why are LOOKUP settings allowed on the command line but not anything
> else?

I believe that everything else overrides normally; indeed, some people
had been relying on that fact.

If the top-level Makefile propagated it down to lookups/ before, it
still does so. But the more varied set of knobs for LOOKUP_*_ are not
handled directly in the OS/Makefile-Base:buildlookups rule and are
specially handled, so this scripts/lookups-Makefile change is just
bringing the handling of those into matching the behaviour of everything
else.

I think.

Re-education welcome.

-Phil