[exim-dev] git merge etiquette (Re: [exim] exim-4.74 in Suse…

Author: Phil Pennock
To: exim-dev
Subject: [exim-dev] git merge etiquette (Re: [exim] exim-4.74 in Suse 11.3)
On 2011-01-27 at 17:17 +0000, Tony Finch wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2011, Phil Pennock wrote:
> >
> > A patch which also works with lookups enabled on the make command-line
> > is available for review at:
> >
> > http://git.exim.org/users/pdp/review.git/commit/44e47ad200b45cf7ff4d136ddc1a0e64e26eb1a0
>
> I've done a test build on Solaris which worked OK. Also squashed the PATH
> to avoid the large african migratory herding mammals in my home directory...
>
> :; env - PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/opt/SUNWspro/bin make

Thanks.

Committed to master repo as:
http://git.exim.org/exim.git/commit/0cc9542ab26b35cba3a5523acb8991eb18ce0656

Git etiquette issue: I try to avoid spurious "merge"s in the master repo
history (not always successfully). So I end up using a git client to
pull from head, fetch the changes, then cherry-pick them, so they get a
new SHA1 identity.

Is this acceptable, having different identities for patches being
tracked for inclusion vs in the master repo, or should I learn to suck
it up and have merge commits in the master?

-Phil