Re: [exim] Stop all bounce notification emails.

Author: Dean Brooks
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Stop all bounce notification emails.
On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 02:16:36PM -0500, luda posch wrote:
> Whenever a bounce occurs, my email server sends a bounce notification email
> out. However, since I am parsing the log frequently and monitoring bounce
> emails myself, I have no need for these bounce notification emails--indeed
> they waste up valuable resources when I need to get emails out.
>
> What is the quickest and easiest way to prevent exim from sending bounce
> notifications?

The easiest way is to edit your system filter (which is located
wherever the "system_filter=" line in your Exim configuration points to).

Near the top, you can put something like:

  if error_message
  then
      seen finish
  endif

That will mark all bounce messages as both "seen" and as "finished
delivering", subsequently throwing them away.

This is unrelated to your question, but on our system we do:

  if error_message and not first_delivery and $message_age is above 86400
  then
      seen finish
  endif

This will cause any bounce message that hasn't been delivered in 24 hours,
but has attempted delivery at least once, to be thrown away. We're not
going to waste a lot of resources trying to deliver bounce messages.

--
Dean Brooks
dean@???