Re: [exim] Logging IPv4 port numbers

Author: Jakob Hirsch
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Logging IPv4 port numbers
Mike Cardwell, 2011-01-27 12:25:

> outgoing mail in case the Exim installation is behind NAT. Surely, if
> they're behind NAT, the NAT gateway will change the source port anyway
> as far as the destination server can see?

Usually not, as long as the port is not already used.

> Ie, if two Exim installations behind NAT bind to their local port 1234

Exim does not bind to a specific port for outoing connections.

You can, of course, get the address and port of the local end, after the
connection is established, but I don't see the big benefit out of that,
especially in the case where the NAT gateway has to change the port.