Re: [exim] Handling addresses with apostrophe

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: Odhiambo Washington, exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Handling addresses with apostrophe

--On 26 January 2011 18:56:40 +0300 Odhiambo Washington
<odhiambo@???> wrote:

> Funnily, I still don't know how to handle an address such as
> john'doe@??? <john%27doe@???> with Exim.
> Anybody doing it?
> What are the dangers of having such an address working? Does M Sex Change
> allow it?

Hmm, an apostrophe in a user's name once caused our (long replaced) account
administration system to delete all our user accounts. Best avoided where
they can be.

Apostrophes are legal in local parts RFC5321. I think the default Exim
configuration permits them.

MS Exchange? It does seem to allow an apostrophe in the local part for
locally submitted, outbound email. I don't know if it would allow it for a
local user.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex