Re: [exim] Allow STARTTLS after HELO

Author: Ted Cooper
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Allow STARTTLS after HELO
On 27/01/11 18:02, David Angleitner wrote:
> Hi
>
> We have set up exim to allow encrypted connections.
> This works fine if the client uses EHLO.
> But if the client uses HELO and then sends STARTTLS,
> exim responds with "STARTTLS command used when not advertised".
>
> Is there a way to allow STARTTLS even if the peer host
> used HELO instead of EHLO?
>
> I'm not sure if EHLO is mandatory according to the RFC,
> but apparently other MTAs have no issue with this.
>
> How can this be done in exim?

Since it's against the RFC, we not going to be making that kind of
change to the Exim code. We're following the guidelines and so are 99.9%
of the other SMTP speakers out there. STARTTLS is an Extended SMTP verb
and as such is restricted to programs talking ESMTP. Computers aren't as
smart as us and as a result we need to give them clear and well defined
rules of engagement. Screwing with the just means Skynet is one day
closer :P

I'd suggest the best path would be get the client that's misbehaving to
fix it's behaviour.

Past that, start hacking code and roll your own Exim.