Re: [exim] queue runner on OS X

Author: Peter Bowyer
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] queue runner on OS X
On 18 January 2011 21:18, Seth Dillingham <seth.dillingham@???> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 4:11 PM, Peter Bowyer <peter@???> wrote:
>>
>> If all else fails, you could try a skim through the Exim docs.....
>>
>> http://exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch05.html
>>
>> -q<time> is a good option to look at.
>
> I would have been sadly disappointed if I didn't get at least a few "RTFM"
> I've practically memorized the command line docs, though. They tell me what
> can be done, I'm looking for advice on what SHOULD be done.

Well since you indicated you were running the queue manually once a
day, I think it was a reasonable assumption that you hadn't found the
part of the manual that tells you how to get Exim to do that for
you..... so I pointed you to it.

exim -q1d will emulate your manual queue running.

What 'should' be done depends on your circumstances - what's your
queueing strategy? What's in the queue? At a guess it probably fills
up with frozen undeliverable bounces, which don't benefit from a queue
run at all. You can run the queue at intervals anything from a minute
to many weeks with that option.

Peter